One Act Play Festivals are organised and run independently of the VDL.
Any query about rules or management of the Festivals should be directed to the relevant organisers.
As a guide, most companies use variations of the following rules.
Please note that the VDL does not endorse nor prescribe these rules.
- Running Time: Usually between 15 to 45-50 minutes per production
- Number of characters: Check with the host company
- “Bump in” time 10 minutes, “bump out” time 5 minutes
- Royalties to be paid by the participant(s)
- A copy of the script should be sent with the entry
- Information about cast, play & company is usually sent to the organisers with the entry from for inclusion in the program
- Entry fees vary from festival to festival
Note that festival dates occasionally overlap. It is our hope that festival organisers will avoid placing festivals on the same weekend as another.