Welcome to the VDL’s inaugural Monologue Competition, an opportunity for you to showcase your talents to the VDL community and beyond.
- Video entries will be accepted between Aug 10 and Oct 30 via the submission form on this website.
- 4 Categories: Adult Drama, Adult Comedy, Youth Drama, Youth Comedy. (Youth = 18 and under)
- A maximum of 2 entries per person, one being a drama and one being a comedy
- All entries will be adjudicated and 3 certificates of excellence will be awarded in each category.
- Adjudicators – Richard Keown, Jennifer Paragreen & Stephen Barber.
- VDL Member Free
- Non-Member: $5
How to enter:
- If you are a VDL member, log in to your account.
- Visit the Competitions page in the VDL online shop.
Note that competition entries will only be available on this page from the competition open date, 10 August.
- Select the appropriate Competition Entry product:
If you have logged in as a VDL member, you can select the free “Monologue Competition Entry – Members”.
If you are not logged in, only the non-member entry ($5) will be available.
- Fill your entry details such as play title, playwright, etc. If your video is ready, you can include the link, or if it is not ready, you can email the link to us later.
- Add the entry to your shopping cart, and proceed through to checkout.
Announcement of Awardees:
The VDL will host a watch party on Sunday 15th November to screen all the entries and announce the 12 awardees. Awardees will receive a certificate, have their entry showcased on the VDL website and announced via the VDL’s Facebook page and monthly e-letter ‘Follow Spot’.
- Please make sure your monologue is copyright covered or use a free monologue website for material: freedrama.net/small1.html OR www.ace-your-audition.com/free-monologues.html Both good, the second one has tips on monologue presentation. (You are also welcome to write your own monologue if you wish.)
- Your monologue should be between 2 and 4 minutes – no longer!
- You can submit a maximum of 2 entries, one under Drama and one under Comedy.
- Entries will open August 10 and be accepted up until October 30 2020.
- Open to Australian entries only.
- It is entirely up to you how you present your monologue: outside, in bed, sitting beside the fire etc… use your imagination to bring the meaning of your monologue to life. The adjudicators will be looking primarily at acting but also for originality in your presentation for example, costume indication applicable to the content, facial expressions, voice control, and clarity.
- Please announce title and author and yourself before going into your monologue. This can be in whatever form you like.
- We recommend Vimeo – www.vimeo.com easy to use, easy to upload. When you have completed your vimeo video it will have a number attached, eg: https://vimeo.com/432706287
- Just enter your video link (URL) on the submission form when you are ready to submit.
Further information on how to upload your monologue to Vimeo
- Go to the Vimeo website: vimeo.com
- Click on the “Join for Free” button
- On the pop-up menu “Join Vimeo”, fill out “First and Last Name” “Email Address” and “Password” Fields. On subsequent logins, only Email Address and Password are required.
- Locate the Blue “New Video” button on the top right of the page – hover cursor over it, then click on the “Upload” option.
- Click on the blue “Or Choose Files” button in the centre of the page.
- Select video to be uploaded
- Set Privacy Setting of “Who Can Watch?” to “Anyone”
- Copy the Vimeo link (URL) for your Monologue for inclusion on your entry form e.g. https://vimeo.com/432706287
- It is not necessary to purchase a Vimeo membership, the free version is adequate.
- Vimeo supports just about any kind of video file, including these common formats: MP4, MOV, WMV, AVI, and FLV. In the rare circumstance that a format is not supported, an Invalid File error is displayed on the video page.
- For the free Vimeooption, the maximum is 500MB per week and 10 files per day. This effectively limits the upper limit of your Monologue file size to 500MB.
- Other explanations of how to upload videos to Vimeo can be found on e.g. Youtube.